In the event of death of the policy holder (untimely or timely), the life insurance benefits get passed on to the nominee/beneficiary. However, one may not exactly know the procedure to go about making a death claim.
Given below are the series of steps to be followed in order to make a death claim
1. Inform the insurance company about the death of the policy holder by submitting original death certificate along with a letter from the nominee. Deaths are categorized as ‘Early death claim’ or ‘Non-early death claim’.
2. The Insurance company will issue set of claim forms, which needs to be duly filled & returned.
3. After duly filling the forms, submit it along with the original Policy bond.
• Id proof of nominee/ beneficiary
• Original death certificate
• Original policy bond
It is advisable to contact the insurance company in case they require more documents.
Also do not wait for too long before making the death claim. Once the documents are in place, the procedure is fairly straightforward and simple.